Join IRIS photographers Peter Carroll, Royce Howland and Ian McGillvrey for our first ever Friends of IRIS event! On Sunday, May 26, the Calgary festival season kicks off in a major way with the 2013 Lilac Festival. Peter, Royce and Ian will take a small group out for a fun and educational day photographing the festival.
The aim of the day is to create engaging visual stories in a dynamic street environment. Festivals are a photographer’s playground for images of people, culture and celebrations. They can also be a challenging environment in which to create clear visual stories that connect with the viewer. The IRIS team will have a selection of exercises as well as technique challenges to help you make creative, engaging images that tell your story of the Lilac Festival. We’ll start with an orientation session first thing in the morning, followed by several fun hours photographing the festival. To wrap up, the group will meet back at our meeting room for a constructive image portfolio review session.
Come shake off the winter blues at the event that kicks off Calgary’s vibrant festival season, and sharpen your street photography skills with three photographers who will encourage and challenge your photography!
Workshop Outline — Sunday, May 26
The workshop begins at 8:00 AM sharp on Sunday. Please arrive on time at the group meeting room.
8:00 – 9:00 Meet up for info & inspiration session @ meeting room
9:00 – 10:00 General photography in small groups with workshop leaders
10:00 Lilac festival parade
10:00 – 1:00 Photography exercises in small groups with workshop leaders
3:00 – 5:00 Image portfolio review @ meeting room
Meeting Room Location
Our workshop group sessions will be held at the CommunityWise Resource Centre, in the Old Y building in the historic Beltline district.
The address is 223 – 12th Avenue SW, Calgary. Click this link for a map.
Street parking is available in the Beltline district, but the Lilac Festival is a busy event so you may wish to carpool or take public transit.
Lilac Festival Location
The photography portion of the workshop will be conducted up and down the Lilac Festival zone along 4th Street. See a map link here.
Cost & Registration
The workshop cost is $40 + GST (registration # 81413 8244 RT0001), for a total of $42.00.
Participants can register for the workshop and pay via secure PayPal transaction using the button below; you don’t need to have a PayPal account of your own to use this option to pay securely via credit card. Or you can contact IRIS for other payment options.
IRIS is a non-profit society registered in the Province of Alberta. All funds raised go 100% towards the costs of this and future IRIS projects; no fees are paid to workshop leaders or other society members.
- The maximum number of registrations is 20.
- Wear comfortable shoes and bring a hat, as we will be walking outdoors for several hours.
- The workshop is a rain or shine event, so come prepared with rain gear for yourself and your camera since we will photograph in light rain if necessary.
- In the event we’re rained out, we will convene in the meeting room for a workshop session.
- Each participant’s favorite 3 images will appear in an online gallery here on the IRIS site.
- A selection of images from all workshop participants will be made available to the Lilac Festival committee for future promotion of the event, in exchange for the group’s permission to work within the festival events.
- In addition to the morning orientation session at the beginning of the workshop, a PDF hand-out will be emailed to all participants the week before the event.
Lilac Festival – www.4streetcalgary.com/Lilac-Festival
Peter Carroll – www.PeterCarroll.ca
Royce Howland – www.vividaspectphoto.com
Ian McGillvrey – www.ianmcgillvrey.com
For some example images in the spirit of festival celebrations, see the gallery below!